Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Hump Day!

Hey Guys,

You made it to Hump Day!
Well, this is weird! I'm sitting here right now and I have exactly 1 year left until I leave. I don't really feel like, "ohhh man a yeeearrrr really", but surprisingly the exact opposite. I feel like "whoa, I only have a year left, that went by a little faster than I expected." It's actually pretty weird thinking that I might be a normal person someday and not a missionary. Right now I'm pretty excited for this next year. I'm technically a "seasoned" missionary now, but I still feel like I have SO MUCH to learn and that I just got here. 

Being on a mission is really like a 2 year life. Your born into this weird country, you can't even speak to anyone. There is all these different things going on and you're just getting all this information thrown at you at once. But you just keep trying and living and everything starts to come and really, truly, just like life, your mission is what you make it. You can have a ton of fun or you can just...not. When you put in the effort to be productive and think of fun things to do, it brings happiness. I would have never imagined that I could be as happy out here as I am. I really think it's because my outlook on things changed and I noticed that when you are doing the right things, it really does bring happiness.

Here's a funny story from the week. Every morning we wake up at 6:30 and say a companion prayer out loud. I guess I should start by saying that we have been pretty tired this week. So we wake up and my companion starts saying the prayer. I was listening and then all of a sudden there is no more talking. I sit there thinking, oh dangit, I fell asleep, so I look up but he is still over there kneeling. I'm just thinking, wait, what is going on, he was just saying the prayer and then all of a sudden he finishes. I look over and then we realized that he just fell asleep while he was praying...out loud. It was pretty funny.

We have been going slack line contacting for English this week. It has been really fun and seems like it has been successful. We will find out this Tuesday when we start. Also we played tennis with someone this week. He has been reading the Book of Mormon and really likes it. We asked him if he would like to talk about it with us and why it's important and he agreed! He is a super cool guy and we are excited to see what happens in the future.

We found a pretty good burger place here. This week I realized that the only type of burger I have had out here has been from McD's. So to eat at a good burger place was a pretty solid find.
And speaking of food, my companion and I had a Mexican night, yesterday. I made guacamole, while he made home made tortillas, salsa, and some good beans. (He's a good cook) I have to say that it was one of my favorite meals I have had out here. Probably because they don't have any Mexican stuff out here, that I've found. I do miss those giant breakfast burritos!

Well, that was my week. Love you guys and hope you have a great week!
Elder Houk


Yea I dont know what it is, but its AWESOME! haha
On a bridge in Cluj
There is a Disney movie that is called this haha.
Mihai Vitiazul (Michael the Brave)
BAG OF MILK!!!!!!!!
On Strada Vienna
Moon...yes mom same moon haha <3

2 comments:

  1. Hello and glad things are going well. And how time flies. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Elder Houk's analogy about how a foreign mission is like a different new two year life. You are suddenly "born" into a land where you don't understand anything, you have to learn to speak and live like a two-year old toddler. They are barely able to get their feet on the ground, so to speak, and it is over. It is wonderful that he and his companion are able to use tennis as a meeting point with a potential convert. It sounds like life is wonderful with homemade Mexican food and a good burger joint! Amazing how small things make life better!

    ReplyDelete