Monday, April 7, 2014

New Transfer, New Experiences

Henry B. Eyring, Thomas S. Monson, Dieter F. Uchtdorf
The First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Hey guys,

   How's it going this week? This was a good week for me. I got a new companion and his name is Elder Bliss, he's a great guy and I'm happy to serve with him. 

   We went down to Bucharest last Wednesday and I got to see a lot of my missionary friends and got to contact together. Most of the people sang while a few of us (who didn't or can't sing) contacted the people who watched or the people passing by. It was a really cool experience because I was pretty much on my own to talk to the people I contacted. I'm at the point where I can speak just enough so that people don't walk away because they think I don't know any Romanian. I had some trouble really trying to say exactly what I wanted to say and understand everything but I am finally starting to communicate with people, which is a great experience. I also got to speak English with people too, which was REALLY nice haha. 

   That afternoon we met this Irish man who was traveling to Bran and has been traveling without sleep for about 27 hours or something. He was really cool and we talked with him the whole 3 hours home on the train. He said that he had met some missionaries like us in Bulgaria. We set him up to be shown around Bucharest by some Bucharest Elders. He didn't really seem to be too interested in the church, but it was really cool getting to know him and hopefully we planted a seed.

   General Conference this week was definitely the best one I have seen because I actually watched and took notes on just about all of it. We haven't been able to see the Sunday night part yet because it played in the middle of the night last night.But I was able to see it all in English which was nice. They had two separate rooms for Romanian and the office for the English. Unfortunately our investigator was too tired from work to attend, but we are hoping to meet with him again soon!
   That was pretty much my week. I am continuing to keep trying to work hard and make the best of these two years while I am here. Hope you guys have a great week and I'll talk to you next week!

-Elder Houk

What is General Conference?
Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints worldwide gather twice yearly for what they call “general conference.” This is in addition to their weekly worship services each Sunday. 
Since the vast majority of the Church’s 14 million members are unable to attend general conference in person, the meetings are broadcast via satellite to over 7,400 church buildings in 102 countries. Members can also watch conference on television through Salt Lake City-based station KSL or BYU-TV. In addition, the Church streams the meetings live on the LDS.org website and on the Mormon Channel
During the conference, Church leaders speak on a variety of spiritual topics. They address Latter-day Saints as well as government, faith and community representatives and other conference guests. Speakers include the worldwide leader of the Church, President Thomas S. Monson, and his counselors in the First Presidency, the governing body of the Church. Talks are also given by the members of theQuorum of Twelve Apostles and other leaders.
General conference talks vary in length from about 5 to 20 minutes. Topics are not assigned; each speaker chooses his or her own subject matter. Talks usually cover basic gospel principles or address significant issues of the day, with speakers encouraging individuals and families in their efforts to follow Jesus Christ.                       

No comments:

Post a Comment